Sunday, December 28, 2014

S.O.S Norm Pattis

Norm, hello!  I have been following you on Face book for about two years.  I guess I started following you shortly after my husband left and I was trying to find a productive way to cope with the situation.  I appreciate that you seem to have a desire help rather than simple punishment and that you see both sides of the situation.  Our judicial system is broken...severely.  Do you agree that we have the best judicial system in the world?  I am not sure I agree with that sentiment, though I prefer it over some countries idea of justice, say for instance countries that follow Sharia law.
I know you don't like it when people expect you to help them for free, which is why I am not asking you directly for help.  I am mere posting S.O.S messages to all the people that I think would make a an awesome restorative justice team.  One can dream...

I am not sure how to help my husband or if I even should help my husband.  It's complicated to say the least.  I am not sure if I am repeating myself if I say I paid for a lawyer the first time and I feel like I wasted my money.  I knew I should have taken my money back when he said, I have a daughter and.... He should have said, please I am not the best lawyer for this type of case, I can't objectively defend him instead he took the money and what did we get to show for it.  10 years suspended after 4 and 30 years probation.  The 30 years probation wasn't even part of the plea deal, the judge just tacked that on.  Then when he violated probation, and went back and served the full 10 years, they removed the probation and he was given 10 years on the registry instead.  I know part of the problem is we felt like for what happened we got screwed big time, so is it any wonder, he believed that no matter what, he is guilty until proven innocent and that he was gonna get screwed again and decided to take his chances and run?  I didn't agree with the running away, but I understood why.  I know how my husband operates.  He deals with his fear and pain by hiding and running. Can't tell him I said that, but I think that's why he ends up turning to alcohol and drugs...as a way to cope with whatever he is feeling inside that hurts him too much.  He really is the definition of the proverbial person that is always "shooting himself in the foot."
What I am worried about, is that he will not get a fair trial.  Its a repeat charge along with failure to register.  I am like, they gave him so much time last time, how much time will they give him this time?  I don't even want to think about it.
I can't afford to pay for a lawyer this time around.  I have our children to support.  I was pregnant the first time around, and since it was just me and I was staying with my parents, I was able to scrape up the money to pay for a lawyer.  This time I have to take care of our children... that is my first priority.  He is on his own...so to speak.  He does have a truck and a BBQ trailer that a friend he had in the south is going to try to sell for him.  I don't know how much that will go to help him and I don't know for sure that they will sell it and give him the money.   I would give them to you in trade for your help of course.  Or if we experience a miracle of money, I will be ringing your phone.
Just out of curiosity, how much would you charge to be his lawyer?  Are there lawyers that you would recommend when it comes to ftr and risk of injury charges?  Those are the two major charges.  He will be going to Litchfield County Superior Court.
No matter the outcome, I do appreciate the work you do and the attitude that you have.  We need more lawyers and judges who are fair minded.  I really believe that the protests we are seeing are not so much about race but because people feel like we do, that they are getting fucked by our judicial system and they are powerless to stop it.   It also doesn't help to be called thugs by everyone else.  If they are like my husband, they feel like life has never given them a fair chance because of their skin color and because they have no money.  Money at least helps to even the odds.


Just to look at that place, makes the butterflies erupt in the pit of my stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment