Monday, January 21, 2013

1st memory of why I love him.

I keep coming back to this question.....why do I love my husband when he has broken my heart so many times?
Let me go back to the beginning when I met him.  I had just finished the night shift at our local hospital.  It had been a long night.  My patients that I took care of were restless, and agitated, maybe from the snowstorm.  Several of them were mentally challenged clients.  A couple of them in particular kept pulling at their medical tubes.  One had a liver tube and another had oxygen.  If he took his oxygen off, his o2 sat would drop and the alarms would start to beep.  Beep, beep, just what you want waking up everyone else.  These clients had hired sitters.  Most of the people who came and sat with them, were not into their job at all.  They just sat there staring at the TV or reading a magazine, not really putting much effort into their job.  I ended up having to restrain my clients because the sitters just were not able to keep the client's  hands off the tubing.
I had given report and was getting ready to leave.  I remember that I was so tired and ready to go home, when this guy dressed in white jeans and a blue t-shirt came out of one of the rooms and demanded to know why "is my client tied up?!!  Untie him!"  I was so not in the mood to be questioned by a "sitter."  I went into my montage of how" you sitters don't want to do your job,  can't keep the clients from hurting themselves, I have had long night and now you have the nerve to question me!.  Fine, I will release the restraints, but you had better keep him from taking off his oxygen"  I did as he asked.  I left the room.  On the way out again, I walked by the room and noticed how he was talking to this man and treating him like he was a real person as he got him ready for the day.  It was so different from how most people every treated this special population of people.  I remember driving home that day, thinking," Man I would love to go out with him, he so cute and sweet.  Too bad I have a boyfriend."  Little did I know what the future held for us.
I haven't been able to let go of this memory.  His act of caring and bravado certainly caught my eye that day. I have yet to meet a man who has captured my heart like he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment