Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The enemy within, the strength within

Elder's Meditation of the Day - January 23
"Our true enemies, as well as our true sources of strength, lie within."
-- Willaru Huayta, QUECHUA NATION, PERU
A long time ago, the Creator put inside the human being the secrets to the laws of life. We usually know this is true even though we may not know what these laws are. If something goes wrong with our lives, we usually fix the blame on something outside of ourselves. We tend to give up accountability. One way or another we say, "It's not my fault." We need to realize that all permanent and lasting change starts on the inside and works its way out. If it's meant to be, it is up to me.
Oh Great Spirit, let me realize fully that my problems are of my own making. Therefore, so are the solutions.


To unsubscribe, click here.
The meditations are copyright of Coyhis Publishing and can also be found in the book,
Meditations with Native American Elders: The Four Seasons at www.coyhispublishing.com.
Any republishing of part or all of their contents is prohibited.
 
I read this meditation today and I thought I would share it because it does seem applicable.  I don't believe that anyone is truly able to tell us why we do the things we do.  We have to discover for ourselves why.  Even when you go to a counselor for help, they can guide you, give suggestions or exercises to help you try and get to the bottom of your behavior but they themselves don't have the answers.  The only person who holds the key to your behavior is you.  I think we know that instinctively which is why we talk, journal, pray,  meditate because that is how we begin to unlock our own secrets that lie hidden beneath the surface. 
I don't know why my husband does why he does.  I would love to be able to tell him, these are the reasons and this is how you fix x,y or z, unfortunately its not that easy.  The only person I can truly possibly begin to understand is me.  Part of this blog is not only to share my experience as the wife of an RSO, but also to possibly discover along the way why I do the things I do.  Maybe as I discover what it is that makes me tick, and share that here, it will help others to think about what they do and why that it is.  Maybe self understanding will help in some way reduce some of the anger, disgust, judgement that we may feel for people that we fear because we  don't understand them. 
The book called the Red Road to Wellbriety, gave me the most hope out of any book that I have read that there is hope for sex offenders.   Native American children suffered extreme abuse on many levels years (physical, sexual, cultural, spiritual to name a few) ago when they were removed from their homes and put into boarding schools so that they could be assimilated into the "White" culture.  The abuses that they suffered have affected many of them to this day, and like I said before in one of my other posts, what happens to one generation continues to affect future generations.  This book talks about the hope that they have for healing their children's children from the trauma they have suffered over the years, and this includes sexual abuse.
I hope that as people who have commited sexual abuse against others begin to discover for themselves why they did these things, that they will begin to share what they have learned to aide others in their self journey.
P.S I myself, don't currently follow any one particular belief or way of life.  I am still searching for the answers.  So don't surprised to see a smattering of ideas from different cultures because I believe there are truths and lessons to be learned from every race on this earth.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment