Thursday, January 24, 2013

Recoveries anonymous

I found a new website this week called recoveries anonymous.  I found it when I googled self help 12 step programs for sex offenders.  I am desperate to find help for my family.  I am certain that there will be no way of affording counseling or rehab type of help in the near future. 
I went to my first RA phone conference meeting tonight.  It was different  from the other 12 step programs that I have been too.  I don't know if that's good or bad.  My feelings are mixed.  I am used to what I am used to and this is a solution based program.  It's open to everyone and their families and friends. It really focuses on going back to the original "big book" and following the 12 steps exactly.  They compare it to following a recipe.  You can't make a cake if you leave out half the ingredients.  They do have a point about that.  
I was hoping my husband would be in on the call with me. He apparently had trouble getting through.  Even though we are a part, we have been trying to attend some 12 step phone conference meetings together.  It's awkward at times because what we need from 12 step recovery programs are usually the opposite.  He's the alcoholic, I need to recover from the effects of his alcoholism.  He has what I think are sex addictions that I need to recover from the effects of.  This program makes no differentiation, it offers hope for whatever you want to recover from.  It doesn't encourage you to talk about your problems in the meeting but instead to focus on recovery.  That's a new concept for me.
So I guess we will see.  Before the meeting I feeling quite discouraged and sad.  Now I am feeling puzzled and left wondering do I want to recovery enough to do the footwork that it would take to recover? 

No comments:

Post a Comment